Hermann's Monument, or Hermann Heights Monument, is a statue erected in New Ulm, Minnesota commemorating the Germanic victory over the Romans at the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest in 9AD. It depicts "Hermann the Cheruscan," also known by the Latin name "Arminius." Locals refer to the statue as "Hermann the German." It is the only National Register of Historic Places property of its kind in Minnesota and is a symbol of German patriotism, pride, and joy. The statue was built following the completion of the similarly commemorative Hermannsdenkmal statue in Detmold, Germany, in 1875. The German-American fraternal order of the "Sons of Hermann," under the leadership of Julius Berndt, who headed the New Ulm chapter and was then national secretary of the order, paid for the erection of the American monument. Berndt designed the monument setting, for which the cornerstone was laid in 1888. The statue was created by Alfonz Pelzer of the Wm Mullins company in Salem, Ohio and shipped to New Ulm in 1890. It was dedicated in 1897 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. It is the third largest copper statue in the United States.
Waterloo Park Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
c.1900-1910 W/ Striker
Waterloo Park is in Uptown Waterloo, and contains historical buildings, a band-shell, animal displays, and the Lions' Lagoon water park in its 110 acres. A grandstand was built in 1895 to house spectators for sporting events at the park's former oval track, but it was torn down in 1953.A Park Inn refreshment booth opened in June 1956, designed by a former Alderman, Charlie Voelker. The park is also known for its light displays during the Christmas holiday season, known as "Wonders of Winter".