The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks (B.P.O.E.), was founded in 1868 as an American fraternal order and social club. The club was originally called the "Jolly Corks" and were established as a private club to elude New York City laws governing the opening hours of public taverns. Today, the Elks or Elks Lodge is one of the largest American fraternal, charitable, and service orders with more than one million members throughout the United States.
The 7th Avenue Hotel was built in 1890 in Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania. E.F. Hughes was proprietor during the early 1900s and also a member of the Elks. The hotel was torn down during the late 1980s.
This china mug is a souvenir from Los Angeles, California and has a date of July 1909 in silver overlay.
Philadelphia Lodge No. 2
The next three souvenir mugs were given at the 19th Annual Reunion of the B.P.O. Elks, of Buffalo, New York, which was held on July 10-15, 1905. The mug above shows "Ye Old Hermitage." The bottom has an image of the "Rustic Arch".
Cortlandville Lodge No. 470